9.15.2014

An interview with Kobametal

A very insightful interview of Babymetal producer Key "Kobametal" Kobayashi by Hedoban magazine, a metal magazine published in Japan. 

Translation (as shared on /r/BABYMETAL):

Chapter 1 : My bet was that everyone must have said it's not Metal!


Q : First, please tell me how you began Babymetal?
Koba : There was Karen Girl's, which was just completing its mission... It's limited time offer from the beginning. 

Q : They were grade school children, weren't they?
Koba : Su-metal was 5th grader, Ayami Muto and Shima Yuika were 6th. It's a tied-up with Zettai Karen Children, an Anime. I heard they were one-year act and going to disband, felt vaguely that they could have potential. Also I was thinking it must have been interesting if I could do something sequel to Perfume. So it was one of my ideas. 

Q : One of those was a fusion of Metal and Idol.
Koba : Right. I had some more ideas. So I made some casting along with my ideas, the best was Babymetal. Su-metal was a distinct character. She was the only person who belonged to ASH (Actors School Hiroshima). The rest of our candidates were kids model who didn't have experience with dancing and singing but fashion modeling and acting. We had used to select someone who could dance and sing from those model/actress kids. So Su-metal was directly the opposite. 

Q : She was an outstanding singer and dancer among them even at the time.
Koba : So my instinct was that rest of the member should have been the opposite character. Also they added a feeling of dancing twins, so I thought Yuimetal and Moametal were a good choice. Feeling of twins was must-have, that I wanted badly. Symmetry was good, I thought. 

Q : When Kobametal-San heard Su-metal singing at the first time, did you respond first to her singing skill?
Koba : I noticed she had good voice. But she sometimes gets into the Zone (laugh). 

Q : She seems unable to be tamed.
Koba : Without any arrangement, her voice was never matched anything but R&B based dance music like SPEED. Also her being goodie was not I expected. I was wondering what was it... what made her potential bloomed, it came to me it might have been Metal? I bet Su-metal can sing common Pop, but she's a type of no-limit. To leverage her no-limit-ness, I thought loud music might be better for her, so I stepped forward. 

Q : Did you produce "Doki Doki Morning" for Idol fans at the time?
Koba : Nothing intended particularly. It was just like "How's the reactions?" 

Q : Nothing expected about reactions from Metal fans?
Koba : My bet was that everyone must have said it's not Metal! (laugh) I expected it. To be honest, I rather expected to take our first step from getting scolded (laugh). I had a motive of "Ijime, Dame, Zettai" from the beginning. But I had taken a long consideration whether releasing it first, or something loose a bit first. And my conclusion came that if we would have done Metal much, we couldn't differentiate much. There are famous figures in authentic Metal scene, so I thought we couldn't make ourselves the only one. 

Q : When did Kobametal-San began to listen to Metal?
Koba : Maybe from 6th in a grade school. Seikima-II was my initiation. From the time I saw Demon Kakka in media (laugh). My love to Seikima-II has been continuing since then. To say more, can I say my first of the first was pro-wrestlers like The Great Kabuki or The Road Warriors? I say they looked a bit like Metal in visual... So much impact they brought! "What were they?" like. 

Q : You are one of Pro-wrestling boys!
Koba : I prefer Lucha Libre more. Dedicated to Mexican one. Now I'm a bit far from it, but I loved so much in my kid age. The Tiger Mask era in New Japan Pro-wrestling in my generation. Also there were Giant Baba, Jumbo Tsuruta and Genichiro Tenryu in Japan Pro-wrestling back then. 

Q : I never expected you're a pro-wrestling fan.
Koba : I do love Lucha Libre so much. It means I loved masked wrestlers. Those who fought in the air... like Villano III in my generation. These guys felt like somewhat Shred guitar? 

Q : Speedy, trickery and acrobatic.
Koba : I liked trickery guitar solos like a missile more... rather than thrash ones of riff-driven. 

Q : I see. You went from Pro-wrestling, especially Lucha Libre to Seikima-II.
Koba : But I remembered I listened to Michael Jackson as well as Seikima-II. Anyway my Metal love began from it. 

Q : How about Metal Bands overseas?
Koba : I myself played the guitar. Yngwie Malmsteen and other Shred guitar players were my choice then. 

Q : Shred guitar with "classical" sounds?
Koba : As one of my favorites. Also more Power Metal, Thrash Metal and nothing to say many Japa-Meta (J-Metal) other than Seikima-II. But fundamentally I selected Shred guitar sounds. I focused on maniac labels for Shred guitar sound. 

Q : Shrapnel Records, as an example?
Koba : That was. Tony MacAlpine was one of mine. He's the man. Also Racer X, Cacophony and more. 

Q : Completely drowned into Shred guitar world (laugh).
Koba : I know (laugh). Somewhat an award-winning fan. Not to say, I listened broader, such as Judas Priest and Iron Maiden too.

Chapter 2 : It may take time more, but it is better to be interesting more. 


Q : Does Perfume's trail back then become a reference after you had relations with Idol?
Koba : Yes, maybe. But I don't know well because I didn't brought up myself from scratch in Idol industry. I was asked the same question before, I may be able to say I'm not what I am now if I were a 100% Idol industry man. I'm a man from band culture... I have completely different way of thinking. There are a lot to learn from Idol industry way of thinking, but I have decided to go my way to extreme, about production and all. As to lighting method, I insist "It's rather better not to care about their faces" like that (laugh). I often have talks with lighting staff as "Is another lighting better to make their faces look better because they're Idol?" "No, this is it!" and so on (laugh). 

Q : There are those "conflicts" at all (laugh).
Koba : When I was told, "Too much back lights so audience can see only their silhouette. How is it?" I replied, "Rather go extreme. Please don't use any faint colors," and "Need red, blue and white only!" Like that. 

Q : You have produced their live acts as anything but those of Idol, from the beginning.
Koba : I think so. Our early days were a series of battles of bands. So I had pre-meetings with lighting staff of live houses and asked "Please do this for that moment," and so on. We could just afford our own staff after Rokumeikan act. That time I asked our lighting for one who had career at LOUD PARK festival. I once went to a live and was impressed the coolness of its lighting. So I visited the person in charge at the end of the live, introduced myself with my business card. It's like a direct negotiation as "May I ask your favor now?" Later we had meetings and he agreed at last. That's what it went. 

Q : Only from this case, I felt going extreme is important very much.
Koba : I feel that way, too. Not to say having more and more options to do are better. But I think there were a lot of precedence of Metal-infused Idol songs in the past. Something with Shred guitar in a solo part. It's better to say Anison (Anime song) rather than Metal indeed... Metal and Anime have affinity in a sense. So I think there might have been some songs of that kind, accepted by these type of people. But no one would have gone this extreme with Idol songs before. To be honest the early source of Doki Doki Morning demo had been way more Pop-oriented Metal-like one. I thought it was nothing new from previous songs of others. So my usual case is to make a deep dive into production, to give directions in detail, and sometimes to build up songs with mashup, even sometimes to tell that the guitar "Might be dropped tuning more" like that. Spending days like this, I give songs a shape little by little. So it takes so much time to release just one song. 

Q : So best guitar is the one with dropped tuning?
Koba : Two-step drop is just normal. A string goes dull much (laugh). If a listener knows Metal well, he must notice the difference whether "Year it sounds right," or "Mer it's superficial." I wonder whether Doki Doki Morning might reach to authentic Metallers or not... But it may happen. The drums in it are programmed ones but there are a Metal kit with varieties of simulations, of kicks as an example, from Pantera, Metallica and others. Also from Dream Theater, too. Dream Theater sound comes up when playing a demo. Maybe I mixed Pantera kit with something for Doki Doki Morning. The solid feel of that kick attacks. 

Q : I know that's solid!
Koba : I felt like going solid for it. Same with the bass guitar, a mix for Metal is too loud about the guitar and the drums, and too low about the bass guitar. Metallica is the case, too. The bass guitar is almost nothing. We have the bass guitar indeed, but keep it in background. And make the guitar, the kick and the snear in the very front, I say. It takes so much time to fix those details with sound engineers (laugh). 

Q : That is the reason why release intervals are that long.
Koba : It is difficult to find anyone who can empathize about these details in music industry in Japan. I myself has looked for those here and there. But there are few people who speaks the same language or feels of ours although there must be a lot of people saying their love of Metal. So it takes a lot of energy to explain myself one by one. As a general recognition, Idol songs must be easy to make up, like composers make up something in a hurry, idols listen a demo a few times and sing once or twice, then it's done! Like making mass production things. Like making instant Ramens. I want to say this trend is not funny as a music fan, and it may take time more, but it is good to be interesting more. 

Q : What made you come up with an air-band idea at all?
Koba : I kept thinking that we needed a feel of the band because our theme was Metal. So we set up useless twin bass drums and piled up never-roaring Marshall units (laugh). To be hang on in details at the very least. We did our best for the feel of "We do it live in our heart." 

Q : A member of the air-band did it in sync, to be surprised (laugh).
Koba : they do tons of practices so hard (laugh). The air band (Mr. Bones) listens to Babymetal so deep, too. Every member love Babymetal. They seems to practice choreography in sync by themselves to show their best if they do it at all. I gave minimum suggestions like "we do the breakdown here, so you'll bend down lower to show your attack! attack!" like that (laugh). We call it "The crab" indeed (laugh). We had a talk like "The crab squat! Now!" I just gave some simple orders like "Let's decide whether two counts or four counts here," and I say "Enjoy yourselves as for the rest!" 
  

Chapter 3: The same as Seikima-II, I wanted to build that distinct feel, just like Mass, at our live performance 


Q : I remembered that some words for Babymetal from my acquaintances began to fly in the air just after the solo act at Rokumeikan. Did you notice the change of tide back then?
Koba : Never happened around me. Some people just said our act got some improvement. We had never done any solo act before. We claimed the Rokumeikan was a solo act, but truth was that it's not the authentic one but just an amenity of our CD package. I said, "No one knows how many applications we will get," but after the Rokumeikan, "We might have more popularity than expected!?" (laugh) No one could enter the venue without the neck brace (the audience had to wear the "Hedoban training neck brace," as certification, which was an amenity of Headbangya!! CD), so I was a bit afraid, "This messy gimmick might make audience get mad?" Contrary to my anxiety they seemed to have fun with that. I came to get some confidence of "We might be going the right path," somewhere at this point. I'm from Metal... the same as Seikima-II, I wanted to build that distinct feel, just like Mass, at our live performance. But I also wondered how far audience could follow on us, whether they entered to our world or not, and whether three girls could really get into that or not. So I just say all of our member is so great. It's just self-applause though. 

Q : This is it. The potential of each girls are unexpected.
Koba : I see. Maybe from the time around the Rokumeikan. As for the act, we struggled to find what we could do for delivering best experience because it was just one-night act. We didn't have much interpretation indeed. We had coffins which ordered at the production of Headbangya!! I had once been told to dispose them because of no use to keep. I had been asked "Which is your choice?" And had said "Please keep just in case" and we had stored them since then. So an idea came up, "why not we brought that coffin to Rokumeikan?", and that was the coffin (laugh). And those coffins are nothing but huge. Over 9 ft. That's just an idea, "It must be fun if Su-metal appear from inside of the coffin!" It was just one big interpretation in the act. But as to neck braces some staff had said "What's the purpose of it?" but at last all said "This is the meaning! We have to do it!" (laugh) Also someone had said "Why Rokumeikan?" But putting on a neck brace at the holy place was the reason. It is just what people in the know know (laugh). 

Q : And Su-metal beat the gong and passed out in the end (laugh).
Koba : Those who know the meaning shall get goose-bumped (laugh). 

Q : X JAPAN songs were used as BGM in waiting time at the act? I remembered it's Vanishing Love. So I was astonished as "They chose this for today!" I really was (laugh). The neck brace, Rokumeikan and beating a gong then passing out... Kobametal-San did a lot of homage of X JAPAN... What do you think about X JAPAN?
Koba : I listened to X JAPAN in real time. For me their music is German Metal, especially their early works are. So their songs naturally came to me. 

Q : I can feel your love to them!
Koba : I'd be glad if it would be the same for others, too. There might be some questions, but in my mind it's just a respect... a neck brace, a gong and the crystal piano mean X JAPAN, right? (laugh) And HIDE's "Tobe! Tobe! Tobe!" too. 

Q : In your interview on other magazine, Kobametal-San once went to Lollapalooza to see X JAPAN, right?
Koba : Yes. I went to see them. I keep having a will to bring Babymetal worldwide from the beginning. And X JAPAN is popular in many countries, right? My interest was why people in these countries got exited with Visual-kei bands and X JAPAN, but I thought I couldn't know the reason until I saw it by my own eyes. 

Q : Does this mean you went that far to Lollapalooza just to see X JAPAN?
Koba : Just right. I also go to Coachella fest and others every year. I can see a lot of next big ones who must get on the ride soon. I like a festival in my nature. Lollapalooza takes place at a place, like Yoyogi park, in Chicago. And X JAPAN was going to play there... I literally "had no choice but go there to see them!" (laugh) It was so mysterious that X JAPAN played on the same stage with Green Day and Lady Gaga, not as a solo! It seemed so interesting. I went there wondering how audience reacted to them. And their appearance was dead of the noon! They appeared at the biggest stage, equivalent to Marine Stage at Summer Sonic. I was at the far behind at first, but crawled to the second row at last (laugh). 

Q : The second row! (laugh)
Koba : I just wondered "How about it?" at the first few steps, but I noticed the audience... were some Japanese, but a lot of Americans and Europians... with cosplays of X JAPAN. I had a talk with these fans, one of them with Hide mascot. I moved back and forth in the field during their performance to see reactions. And the last song was "X" I remembered, I saw a hippie man with dreadlocks at my very next... Lollapalooza doesn't usually feature Metal (laugh). That year at the fest, Soundgarden did their revival act as "at the boarder line between Metal and others." But Soundgarden never does that Metal with endless twin bass drumming (like X JAPAN). Anyway I suppose these endless twin bass drumming sounded something new to the hippie man! Even he did the X Jump at last (laugh). The same as choreography in "IINE", core fans at the front rows jumped first. 

Q : Then the jump infected to the behind (laugh).
Koba : Yes. Everyone started enjoying and got on a ride. As seeing that I just knew "X JAPAN does transcend any language barrier!" Also I thought X JAPAN was great as one of icon-of-icons of Japanese culture. More to say, I also got some confidence of "This is... maybe Metal can go to somewhere?" 

Q : I hope someday we can see mega bending-down of 40-50 thousands audience at the breakdown in IINE (laugh).
Koba : More to say, all those never get any idea of the choreography (laugh).

Chapter 4 : They are so serious person by their nature... with high ethics as a professional 


Q : As for the three, were you not sure about their awesomeness on the stage before the live debut, then surprised to their actual performance there?
Koba : I think so. I have seen them transforming gradually to the real Babymetal with cumulative experience. Needless to say they are serious figures and never neglect what I suggest to them... they keep doing their best from the beginning. That makes us happy, also serious at the same time. But how can I say... they have experienced a lot... live performances were one... increasing fans more and more was another... all these experiences have added more confidence little by little. Seeing that I was motivated to make them look more gorgeous, say... only small stages we appeared in our early days, but stages like Zepp Tokyo are three times larger at least... their performance might look small even their choreography is just the same as before. They do their best to look more gorgeous, that I don't know whether they are aware or not, anyway I feel the presence of them each bigger so much. 

Q : As to dancing, did they dance with that edge from the beginning?
Koba : I think so. Su-metal did distinctive dance and Mikikometal, our choreographer, once said... that she's a no-limiter. She always empties out everything she has. Only Su-metal makes us feel her about to fly out. 

Q : She's the same type in dancing (as well as in singing), too?
Koba : She dances differently from any others. 

Q : How about Yuimetal and Moametal?
Koba : Yuimetal seems to have had dancing lessons before Babymetal, her dance had a different edge from those of adults because she's small... all dynamic dancers had a difference. Minor moves specific in Yuimetal's... are also different from those of Hiphop-based kid dancers having lessons at so-called dance schools. 

Q : Two of them are so small but on the stage they show tremendous amount of presence... I just think their dance might be the reason.
Koba : I agree. They are good at presenting themselves, I think. Adding to this, they are so serious person by their nature... with high ethics as a professional, get maximum concentration all of a sudden once lessons begin. So they master all choreography a song just in a day or two. 

Q : Really! What brings that level of professionalism to them?
Koba : This is my question, too. But it can be their personal motivations. The three of Babymetal came with high ethic as a professional from the beginning. Su-metal must have eyewitnessed a lot of such kind of seniors in Actors School in Hiroshima... also keeps watching Perfume. Furthermore she has her own experience as Karen Girl'S, her muscle memory knows what professionals should be, I think. Yuimetal has huge love to Karen Girl'S and wanted to join Karen Girl'S... in other word it's been her aspiration from her child age. So building her career with her long-time icon must be the reason, I think. Moametal is a long-time Idol lover so she studies a lot by herself. She must have had less experience of dancing but she is a serious hard worker. She didn't have foundation of dancing, she has been working hard for the very reason. Anyway she is something like an actress... she has strong presentation power. Moametal is the best at presentation in the three. Facial expressions, minor body signs and so on. 

Q : Do they show any sign of anxiety or strain before their performance?
Koba : Well... half an analogy and half not, just like a god might come have them totally... their eyes do show something different on the stage. Something in them makes me feel myself smaller when I talk to them there. Even I feel awe a bit. About to get down on their feet and say "Yes, your Majesties." (laugh) 

Q : Literally a god or Kitsune-Sama come have them (laugh).
Koba : That's the feeling. They do transform to another beings on the stage.

Chapter 5 : Like the reactions after watching Eva, "What on earth did that scene mean?" 


Q : Would you look back performances at Legend I.D.Z., Kobametal-San? Had you taken long consideration how the trilogy should have been like that?
Koba : I had thought about a future release of "Ijime, Dame, Zettai", and IDZ as its abbreviation, which naturally reminds of a trilogy, doesn't it? There are trilogy albums... or suites, also in Metal. I thought a keyword was "3". The member is three-pieces also. So it was suitable for the next stages to be a series like a trilogy, I thought. After that the idea of naming it as Legend I.D.Z. came. 

Q : Just playing all of repertoire allows one-hour show at best. Did footages come up in a process to find a way to cover up this?
Koba : I simply don't like a lengthy live at all (laugh). I think it goes boring anyway. Babymetal does lives mostly at standing venues, so we better run rather a sprint than a marathon. My concern was that if we went normal, no stage talk available (laugh), so our show must have been 30 minutes long or so. I was seeking for resolution, "Hmm... How can we deal with it?" Also it must have been hard for our member without any rest between songs. So I considered some ideas... something with footage, short plays with someone and more. Then footage survived. 

Q : I say it was a shock in a good sense when I watched these footage... but that kind of interpretation often doesn't go well. I thought that was somewhat innovative.
Koba : I can't say much about it though. I don't have enough opportunities to go to lives of other idols. As for O-EAST (where "Legend I" took place), we had had a Su-metal performance there with Miniparti before. O-EAST is an unique venue with a permanent screen. A sub-stage, too. I knew about these equipments so I talked to myself, "We can do... footage." It was lucky for us to be able to utilize the screen. Also it has a permanent sub stage, I thought about something on the sub stage, too. I thought that it would have been interesting if our member appeared from there for encore. The main stage and the sub stage are separated. So we build a bridge to connect them at all, to allow our member to walk straight to the main stage. 

Q : Hearing that was astonishing, too.
Koba : Additionally, there was a gate with wire mesh at that sub stage, I could imagine it opening slowly and heavily like the one of a secret chateau, then a coffin appearing with Su-metal asleep in it, then her awakening from the coffin. That's what I thought to be interesting and we just did in the live. 

Q : In Legend D aka Su-metal Seitansai, at Akasaka BLITZ, cover songs appeared at the first time, did you have that idea for a long time?
Koba : I wanted something special because it's also Su-metal's birthday event. In general, most of birthday events of other idols or bands are like, a birthday cake showing up just before an encore, otherwise all attendees cheering suddenly as a surprise and chanting "Happy Birthday to you." At first I admitted something like that, but gave another thought and realized it's just wrong. There was no room for these things in the world of Babymetal. I was really sorry for her, but we did nothing to celebrate her birthday at the live (laugh). The audience must have expected that "Happy Birthday to Su-metal" kind of something... there was nothing at all. Other way round, the show ended with special effect of burning Su-metal with pyrotechnics firing up around (laugh). What a birthday! (Laugh) But interpretation on stage was hard to replace, so I did my best to feature Su-metal in a whole showtime as much as could. We showed her brief history for an interval... more in details, she came to the world literally in 1997 so I made some studies of what happened in 1997. A lot happened in the year indeed. It's the best time of SPEED, also X JAPAN disbanded at Tokyo Dome. What a coincidence, I was surprised! And all happened in December... The disband of X JAPAN was December 31st, almost 10days after Su-metal's birthday. That coincidence. I felt deep about the pivotal year... that X JAPAN left and Su-metal came... the brand-new Metal was handed over! Like that. All is foolish far-fetched story (laugh). As my studies went, a story revealed itself. "White Love" of SPEED was a smash hit in '97, also Su-metal knew it well... and it's a winter song. So let Su-metal sing it. As for covering "Over the Future" of Karen Girl'S, it's a memorable song for Su-metal, also both Yuimetal and Moametal loves the song. Yes, it's a hype for the festival. I put them on the set list as something special for one night only. My first plan was to let just Yuimetal and Moametal sing. But I thought again and it might have been better to let audience mislead that the song was duet with Yuimetal and Moametal, then the original appeared at a second verse. Like impersonation shows popular on TV. I wanted that feel (laugh). 

Q : Like Hiroshi Itsuki were sneaking from the behind of Korokke (laugh).
Koba : Yea yea yea. That kind of surprise with Hiroshi Itsuki or Mikawa-San appearing from the behind (laugh). 

Q : Interpretation of that cross and pyrotechnics at the very end was possible only at Akasaka BLITZ.
Koba : I think so. Metal and fire is undivided to me for a long time. I wanted to implement it sometime. As for the Akasaka BLITZ, I had a vision, from the early period, of Su-metal on a cross with fire at the very end. It's just an "all-in to the last bet" approach (laugh). Never used any other big thing in the middle of the live, then big pyrotechnics one time only at the very end. 

Q : As for Legend Z at Zepp Tokyo in last February... the script told what's next with Babymetal. The storytelling was important, wasn't it?
Koba : I really felt that it's time to make it clear about where to go at the time. So the interpretation was what we showed. I always think detailed explanation is too much. Some things were better left unsaid. In both footage and messages. These can allow people to imagine by themselves. So it just told little by little... more space we make, more imagination people use as "I believe that scene meant this!" (laugh)... let them talk easier and more. Like the reactions after watching Eva(ngelion, an anime), "What on earth did that scene mean?" We intentionally made them in abstracto to let people talk easier. If we tell everything with no room for imagination, it would just end like, "Period!" I always think the other way, to make an end with resonance. 

Chapter 6 : I would be excited if masterpieces in Metal would get more attention through Babymetal 


Q : May I ask you for a detail about the major debut, did you take long consideration to it with "Ijime, Dame, Zettai"?
Koba : We did it live a lot because its first play was after "Doki Doki Morning"... It really represents Babymetal... also anyone can understand it easily. Because its sound is a solid mode of beauty... its melody is melodic Metal, its vocal is kind of straight from the heart and it has an interlude. Like a trinity of a song. So I bet this song could make itself understood at ease. 

Q : It is authentic Metal... even grandiose Metal in a sense, right? All previous songs of Babymetal were rather Metal with non-Metal arrangement. Did you feel any anxiety about reactions from Metal people... at the moment you decided to go with authentic Metal?
Koba : From Metalheads' point of view, "IINE", "Doki Doki Morning" and "Headbangya!" must have been "These are not Metal." Even I thought the same by myself. Though we had been throwing change-ups only, I thought it's time for a fast ball hard enough to surprise Metalheads. I was confident of it... But if someone would say it's not Metal... I can't say any more (laugh). This song is slightly different from so-called pure Metal... but I think there are a few bands now playing that dramatic kind of Metal in regard to its sound (laugh). 

Q : The sound is sick (laugh).
Koba : I made it sound like that. I really felt an increase of people hooked by the song, who once had thought "Babymetal... Meh..." Especially who played an instrument. Many Metallers said "It's sick as hell!" I think it's good effect of the release of IDZ. 

Q : Like pulled off a major upset?
Koba : Like finally got some credit to talk with Metallers. The most impressive to me was the pretty good sales figure. The CD sales kept its moment long in the front of stores. It is common for idol songs to get a big sales right after its release, then drop fast. But as for Babymetal it stayed in top 10 everyday in the release week, kept steady sales the next seven days. There were a lot of people who listened to its preview in store and bought the disk. Babymetal doesn't do any handshake event. So true music fans... what to say... "There are lots of people who gave it a try and bought," shop staff and others said to me. I think it's another good aspect for me to stay with Babymetal. 

Q : I'm kind of sure there are non-Metal listeners got interested in Metal through Babymetal.
Koba : I'm glad if Babymetal become an eye-opener for those listeners to dig into Metal to find good old songs. Babymetal songs have a lot of homage, so searching original elements would be one of pleasure. I hear decrease of taking efforts to search for originals and roots. There must have been many maniac people among musics fans, who gave a chance to bands which influenced to their favorite bands. If some phrase came from others, they searched for the originals, like that. Many fans must have enjoyed something like this before, but this kind of effort becomes rare now. I would be excited if masterpieces in Metal would get more attention through Babymetal! 

And it's short. So bonus (as idols do) : Megitsune extract from Yuyoyuppe interview on Hedoban vol.1
Y : It's interesting from the beginning. The interaction started with "There is a song unfinished last two years..." There were many versions by many artists. I heard first he was going to give it poofy sound of K-Pop like, but wanted Japanese taste at last. We didn't have the Sakura breakdown originally.
Q : Really?
Y : Japanese taste, an original K-Pop groove and catchy sound were layered, furthermore going to inject the breakdown (laugh). As for breakdown, there is a trend. I pursued it. Now it's not a cut-in breakdown of a past trend in Hardcore or Metal, but one with teasing and teasing then breaking down, like that. The current trend of breakdown is not the Hardcore cut-in, but others with Electro taste even in Hardcore scene. I put in the taste little, then it went so good. Kobametal-San might have felt something cool, seemed "Well, I took it." But this was just the beginning. I made... how many... 36 different demos maybe.
Q : What!?
Y : We communicated 36 times (laugh). I hung up seriously. I kept making the next ones with graining my soul. Doing DJ, my band and other acts in parallel nearly broke my health. But my PC broke first (laugh). In a middle of the production my Megitsune project file turned half dead, I could never open specific windows. It kept aborted and sound never came up (laugh). Most difficult delivery in my life. But I really did my best. Someone must have made Enka-Metal before, but Babymetal was the first to achieve that level of emotion with hybrid of sounds, I think.

The final chapter : To become the one to be mimicked in a good sense 


Q : May I ask your comment on latest single Megitsune? I heard it been for a while. When did you decide to change its arrangement with more Japanese tastes?
Koba : I had a blueprint from two years ago but... it's like difficult delivery... happened lots of changes. As for song arrangement, first it was something like more of K-Pop with a feel of four-beat... that kind of groove. We had been rearranging it little by little. In course of rearrangement there was a time when it sounded more like Enka-meets-Hard-Rock thing than the final version. Then it doubled back, and so on. I feel I took a long and winding road with this song. 

Q : The way Su-metal sings has been insanely improved, I felt from the song. It might even generate some femininity.
Koba : I know people say so. One reason might be that I felt some changes needed for a next step at the time somewhere in my heart. The other might come from her Enka style of singing. I had made opportunities for her to watch footages of Sayuri Ishikawa, Hibari Misora (at her 48 yo, and it's at her 17 yo) and more. I didn't give any detailed lecture to her... I had had leveraged her straight way of singing before, which is her characteristics. This time I encouraged her to open up an another drawer and take challenging steps ahead to the other way. I think it had been in her from the beginning. So, I think Su-metal has grown up in various ways. 

Q: I think its lyrics has an image of a series of director Gosya films (laugh).
Koba : Ah it can be (laugh). There was a keyword "Women are a natural-born actress" for a while. Lyrics of this song are almost identical to Babymetal I think... they are just a girl but once transform to Babymetal on the stage, they really get into something and go farther. Just great. I once said to them I wanted them to sing toughness of women... or something like that. 

Q : About Akatsuki and Onedari Daisakusen, both of which were coupled with Megitsune, and... Onedari Daisakusen was a thunderbolt to me. Here came Rap Metal... Limp Bizkit of all others!
Koba : I thought "No one must come up with it nowadays." I felt like having a song for that twins. it was the beginning. Its characteristics suit Yuimetal and Moametal better than Su-metal. Limp is distinctive by Fred Durst's character and more. Their poofy figures are so precious in a good sense. I thought it must become something if small girls could do that with funny lyrics. Even Japanese bands would never play such a straight Rap Metal now (laugh). 

Q : How long have Akatsuki been?
Koba : it was old, too. Back to two years ago. Its first appearance was in January 2012 at Metal Girls' Party. A stage setup for Babymetal took some time to complete at the time, and we often have dos and don'ts announced in a interval... like "No shooting allowed...", don't we? So we made a parody of it, and announced something like "Please listen to our new song!" then played a track of Akatsuki. We made Akatsuki and IINE! almost in parallel but didn't have enough time for Akatsuki to complete its choreography. The event was "Metal Girls' Party (aka WOMEN‘S POWER 20th Anniversary)," so I thought Akatsuki or IDZ suited better (than IINE!). To fans of Show-Ya-San and Aldious-San. 

Q : Was Akatsuki a song for Babymetal from the beginning?
Koba : Yes. But no interlude included at first. It's like Merosupi (Melodic Speed Metal)... a kind of German Metal. IDZ and Akatsuki were born as twins. 

Q : Do you take notice of balance thoroughly... fine balance between Idol and Metal? I think Babymetal super-successfully stepping the line back and forth.
Koba : I might do. Falling to one side or the other results bad. If we would fall to Metal, tons of bands are there, and countless idols in the other side. It's just nothing. Babymetal sets our theme to be the only one. I often talk to the member to do what only Babymetal can do. I always think about it. About to become the one to be mimicked in a good sense. To be mimicked means to have distinct characteristics. Our goal to become the only one would be achieved when we were mimicked to many others. So I'm glad if we could become that one. 

Q : How do you want to show the future of Babymetal... say, after the NHK Hall (LEGEND “1999” YUIMETAL & MOAMETAL Seitansai )?
Koba : Needless to say it better to expand wider to both Idol people and Metal people. Also to another people. Especially to people overseas. 

Q : I want to see how far Babymetal goes with keeping being Metal.
Koba : But Metal itself isn't the very center in the music world? (laugh) So it's enough to have only one traffic lane (in Japan) if the highway of music industry would have five traffic lanes (laugh). And it better happens the same in America and Asia... I think it would be one of our paths in future. I did see more X-JAPAN fans from other countries than those from Japan at Lollapalooza. That atmosphere was just amazing. I want to create that atmosphere by ourselves some day.

Shortlinks: 
http://redd.it/2eq3yi
http://redd.it/2f0y79
http://redd.it/2edfff
http://redd.it/2edfff
http://redd.it/2g6mp7
http://redd.it/2fdool
http://redd.it/2e9xmf